Here’s to a much better year, eh?
As you welcome in the New Year, please take a moment to remember those less fortunate than yourself.
I don’t mean the poor, ill, lonely and/or disenfranchised as there will be plenty of time to think of them tomorrow when you’re already feeling like shit. I am referring to anyone who—through their own dumb ignorance, wretched luck or bad taste—does not share in life’s pleasures as you and I do. We too often forget that people like this do exist:
- The men for whom “Wanted Dead or Alive” triggers important life-changing memories.
- The women who think it’s okay to put decals on their fingernails.
- The young people who think Lady Gaga gives an “intense performance.”
- The old people who can’t wear skinny jeans.
- Anyone who drinks Boone’s Farm out of choice, rather than necessity.
- Robert Conrad who still has to live with the shame.
Raise a toast tonight to these sad fuckers. And then go about your usual New Year’s Eve shenanigans.